Monday, May 26, 2008

Happy Birthday Ryan!


Ryan was able to spend his time off from school with us in Arizona. During that time we celebrated his birthday. The evening was one of small disasters after another, but in the end everyone was full and happy!

Sequence of events:

1) I bought the wrong tri tip meat at Costco (I got the roast because that is what I have always done but my brother wanted the steak...he wanted to BBQ).

2) When I came home from Costco I stuck the meat in the freezer (obviously not thinking since the dinner was the next day)!

3) Got home from work and realized that I put the roast in freezer and didn't buy exactly what my brother wanted.

4) Went to Costco to by room temperature meat...steak of course this time!

5) I told my brother that if he wanted BBQ he would be incharge of the meat.

6) He was excited until he tried to light the BBQ and there was no propane. Then we tested the back up tank, which of course didn't have any fuel in it!

7) Tried to light Heather and Langdon's BBQ that is still at my house with the coals that were left out in the heat. I didn't realize that the heat that they had endured made them impossible to light!

8) Heather and Ryan go to buy new charcoal at the grocery store.

9) Ryan had to cook the meat in two different sections because there was so much meat. I can't remember for sure but I think we had about 10 people for dinner.

10) We barely got the grill going when our company started arriving.

11) When we were supposed to have started eating we still were cooking the first batch of steak! Needless to say we ate late!!!

12) Finally sat down to eat dinner! I think it was an hour late! YIKES!

Good thing the food was worth the wait! Ryan did a great job cooking the main course of his own birthday dinner! In the end he got what he was invisioning for his dinner dispite my mistaken purchase so I guess it all worked out just fine!!!

My brother's favorite dessert is pumpkin pie and Heather actually found a pumpkin pie...in the middle of April...at Walmart! What a great sister!!!
Our family has kind of started a funny tradition because we ran out of birthday candles once but I had sparklers! I actually love it! It is so neat! We have used the sparklers for several birthdays now!

1 comments:

The Robinsons said...

That totally doesn't surprise me Jen. Just kidding, what a great memory - and you thought you were stress free.

I expect a lot of pictures of all your adventures this summer!
Heather